Riders gain confidence, improve balance, increase self-awareness, develop communication skills, expand awareness of others, build relationships with horses.
Our Therapeutic Riding Lessons are:
- Taught by Kay Firor, PATH- certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor or by Melissa Over, PATH Instructor-in-training
- Held in small groups of 3 riders, allowing for individualized attention
- Taught in six weeks, one hour lesson each week
- Participants are children ages 6-14 with special needs
- Co-facilitated by Volunteers and a PATH-Certified Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning
Melissa or Kay lead the group through a variety of activities on horseback, while working on the targeted therapeutic goals individually set for each participant. This is a series of horseback riding lessons designed to teach riding skills, while also targeting therapeutic goals, which might include physical, emotional, behavioral, cognitive, and/or social skills.
- Spring Class: April- May 2018
- Fall Class: September- October 2018
- Registration Fee: $270 per rider
To register contact Brittany (541) 562-1257 or email with any questions email@example.com
What is Therapuetic Riding?
Therapeutic Riding participants come to Clover Haven once per week for 6 weeks for a small-group riding lesson given by a PATH-certified instructor. Volunteers and an Equine Specialist are on hand to help ensure a safe environment. The instructor leads the group through a variety of activities on horseback, while working on the targeted therapeutic goals individually set for each participant.
Therapeutic Riding can help participants with a variety of disabilities:
- Improve balance and body awareness
- Develop core strength, and improve posture, flexibility, and coordination
- Enhance listening and language skills
- Learn sequencing, patterns, and motor planning
- Bond with a special horse
- Find the courage to face fears and to deal with frustration
- Profoundly increase self-esteem and independence
- Improve tactile awareness and sensory integration
- Learn about cooperation, teamwork, friendship, and compassion.